The steps to filing for nonprofit or tax exempt status are pretty simple:
1) First you must file a formation document, typically Articles of Incorporation. In the State of California, you would do this with the Secretary of State's office. In other states this varies slightly.
2) You will receive a state corporate number which will be necessary when filing your IRS form 1023 and your other state filings.
3) In the State of California, you must also file with the Department of Justice, Charitable Trust Registry as well as the Franchise Tax Board.
4) Next, apply for your EIN or Employer Identification Number. This may be done online.
5) Complete the form 1023 for 501 c 3 organizations. Other nonprofit status filings may have to use other forms to receive nonprofit status.
For details on how to do this, whether within the State of California or outside, feel free to email us or go through the steps one by one with our portal.
We are happy to help with this process.